Last updated on December 16th, 2021
When it comes crafting the best tasting classic lemon bar recipe – you just have to keep it simple and easy. Cookie crust. Soft lemon bar filling. Doesn’t get much better than that.
It’s odd, posting a baking recipe in the middle of summer, but this summer has been one for the record books, as far as the weather goes. While good friends up in the pacific northwest are sweltering under triple-degree temperatures, we here in the southwestern United States are having a relatively mild summer. We’ve seen temperatures in Albuquerque dip as low as 68 degrees accompanied by rain… during the summer…
But enough about the weather, onto the tips!
Tips & Tricks for making the Best Classic Lemon Bar Recipe (ever)
- all-purpose flour
- lemon juice
- lemon zest, grated
- powdered sugar (for dusting)
This recipe is based on a classic one and doesn’t really call for substitution unless you’re going to do a 1:1 ratio of a different type of flour for the all-purpose flour. You can also do a 1:1 ratio of an artificial sweetener for the sugar.
As always when it comes to cooking with me – we’re going to start by gathering up all of the ingredients together (they’re listed below, there’s a jump to recipe button for that list).
Using a hand mixer, cream butter and sugar together in a small bowl until light and fluffy, or around 5 minutes.
Slowly add flour and beat into butter and sugar mixture until well-blended.
Scoop dough and press into 8-inch square baking pan.
You’ll want to use your fingers, the back of a spoon or any kind of flat surface to smooth your crust so that when it bakes, you can have a nice even texture. The dough will start out looking a little rough but once you work with it and press it firmly… (scroll down)
It will look more like a regular prepared crust.
Bake for 15 – 20 minutes or until edges are just slightly golden in color. Keep oven on and temperature set at 350 degrees.
Prepare lemon bar filling
In a medium-sized bowl using an electric hand-held mixer, beat the sugar, eggs, lemon juice, flour, lemon zest and baking powder until frothy.
This process can take some time, maybe four to five minutes.
Pour this mixture over the prepared crust.
Bake for 15 – 20 minutes or until filling is set and just starting to turn brown.
Cool in pan on a wire rack.
Sprinkle with the powdered sugar and cut into equal squares. Allow bars to cool before serving. These lemon bars can be stored for up to a week, covered, in the refrigerator.
Best Lemon Bar Recipe
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest, grated
- 2 tablespoons powdered sugar (for dusting)
- Preheat oven to 350°
- Using an electric handheld mmixer, cream butter and sugar together in a small bowl until light and fluffy – about five minutes.
- Slowly add in flower until blended.
- Press dough into an ungreased 8 x 8 inch baking dish, and evenly spread out in bottom of pan to a thin crust.
- Place in oven and bake for 20 – 25 minutes or until the edges of the crust are a light golden brown.
- In a large bowl using an electric handheld mixer, beat sugar, eggs, lemon juice, flour, lemon zest and baking powder until frothy and pour over the hot crust.
- Bake for 15 – 20 minutes or until set and golden brown. Remove baking pan from oven and cool on a wire rack for ten minutes.
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar and cut into equal squares.