Last updated on December 16th, 2021
This single serving of a refreshing blackberry mojito is just what you need to relax on a warm summer evening.
Tips & Tricks for making the best Blackberry Mojito (ever)
- lime wedges
- mint sprigs
- ice cubes
- clear rum
- lime juice
- simple syrup
This mojito is fairly straightforward. The only deviation I’ve made from a traditional mojito is the addition of the blackberries. They add an extra oomph of both sweet and tart that elevates the lime and rum to give you a refreshing, summery treat.
The first thing I learned about making a good mojito is that this drink is about having all the right tools. Sure, you can make a decent enough drink without it. But if you want to crush your drink-making goals, you’ll need a muddler. If you don’t have a muddler, you can use the back of a large spoon and sort of awkwardly make-do. Just try not to break your glassware.
It’s also helpful to have a measuring device that is specific to alcohol, since standard (imperial 1) measuring spoons don’t measure in “ounces”, yet most alcohol recipes call for ounce measurements. For alcohol, you’ll see most bartenders or “home-based alcohol enthusiasts” use something called a ‘jigger’. In a pinch, you can substitute a regular shot glass, for a jigger.
Crush the blackberries (the most important step in making your blackberry mojito), cut lime wedges, and mint at the bottom of your glass, gently.
Add ice cubes to muddled fruit and mint, and add 2 ounces of lime juice to glass.
Then, add two ounces of clear rum (I use Bacardi – though this is not an “official endorsement” it’s just what I prefer).
Top off glass with Simple Syrup mixture2.
At this point, you can do one of two things. You can pour / strain your blackberry mojito into another glass full of ice cubes and top with garnish. Alternately, you can skip that extra step and simply top with garnish. Since I am at home and I’m serving only myself, I prefer to top with garnish and skip the extra step. I know it’s probably horrifying to some purists, but this is a home-based drink and it’s delicious. Also blackberries are full of antioxidants so I’m fine with “eating” my drink.
Refreshing Blackberry Mojito
- 2 tablespoons blackberries (to taste)
- lime wedges, cut in half
- 1 sprig mint
- 1 cup ice
- 2 ounces clear rum
- 3 ounces lime juice
- 1/4 cup simple syrup
- Crush the blackberries, the cut lime wedges, and mint at the bottom of your glass, gently.
- Add ice cubes to muddled fruit and mint.
- Add 2 ounces of lime juice to glass.
- Then, add two ounces of clear rum (I use Bacardi – though this is not an “official endorsement” it’s just what I prefer).
- Top off glass with Simple Syrup mixture.
- At this step, you can do one of two things. You can pour / strain your blackberry mojito into another glass full of ice cubes and top with garnish. Alternately, you can skip that extra step and simply top with garnish.
1Skyrim belongs to the Nords!
2. Simple Syrup mixture is a blend of 1 part sugar to 1 part water. Usually it is made by boiling the two together until the sugar is dissolved.