Last updated on December 17th, 2021
I made these baked cabbage steaks about five years ago. I love them due to their simplicity. Slice. Salt. Pepper. Lemon. Roast. Done.
Each time I prepared them, I embellished them more and more until I was able to come up with a flavor combination that went perfect with the crunchy goodness of roasted cabbage. This is again, one of those recipes that is a “pinch of this” and a “splash of that” because as with most savory foods, everyone’s taste is different so it’s difficult to be precise. However, I’ve tried to be as precise as I can with approximate measures in this recipe – as this is in fact, a recipe. But feel free to consider this as more of a guideline, or a template.
Tips & Tricks for making baked cabbage steaks
This recipe is so easy, there’s not a whole lot of tips or tricks involved. Here’s what I’ve learned after making and enhancing it several times:
Use a mortar and pestle to crack or break open the larger spices such as coarsely ground black pepper and fennel seeds. This releases the flavor of the spices and gives the oven roasted cabbage steaks a much richer flavor.
Slice cabbage “steaks” into wedges with one inch thickness. This thickness gives you a great texture, with good “bite” and satisfying crunch. Also, the flavor is amazing. All in all a great all-around experience.
While you can technically use any oil for baking the cabbage steaks, I prefer olive oil which enhances the other spices or add-ins I drizzle on after cooking such as balsamic glaze and coarse sea salt.
Baked Cabbage Steaks
- 1 head cabbage (purple or green)
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1/2 lemon, sliced into wedges
- 1 tsp. fennel seed
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. pepper, coarsely ground
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Line standard size rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Drizzle one tbsp. of the olive oil onto parchment paper to prevent sticking.
- Wash head of cabbage thoroughly peeling away any loose leaves.
- Using long serrated knife, cut head of cabbage into slices 1-inch thick.
- Arrange cabbage slices onto oiled parchment paper.
- Drizzle remaining tbsp. of olive oil onto cabbage slices liberally.
- Squeeze lemon juice onto cabbage slices.
- Pestle fennel, salt and pepper in mortar and pestle just enough to release fragrance of fennel.
- Sprinkle liberally onto cabbage slices.
- Bake in oven for 40 minutes, or until cooked through and edges start turning golden.